Please submit Comments to the SCC before COB 2/12/21.
- Follow the directions. Fill out the required information, including your name, address, email and other contact information.
- In the section marked ‘Comments’, explain why the SCC should support Virginians’ ability to go solar. We’ve drafted a message below, but please personalize your message. If you have solar, tell the commission how it has benefitted you and your family. If you don’t have solar, tell the commission you support expanding solar in Virginia.
- Hit the submit button
Here is a sample email to the State Corporation Commission—please customize based on your personal or organizational goals:
The solar installed on homes and businesses across the Commonwealth does more than provide electricity. It creates good local jobs. It makes our electric grid more reliable. And, it provides clean energy. Distributed solar owners deserve credits for these benefits.
Distributed solar energy must play a role in Virginia’s 100% clean energy goal as part of the Virginia Clean Economy Act. You can ensure that this happens by taking the following steps:
– Reserve the distributed generation carveout solely for customer-owned and sited net metered solar systems.
– The 1% distributed generation carveout should be a minimum, not maximum amount. This will ensure that more Virginians are able to participate and receive a value for their role in Virginia’s clean energy transition.
– Increase the carve out by a minimum of 1% of the annual RPS requirement on a yearly basis to ensure maximum economic impact. This is consistent with the economic transition requirements contained in the Virginia Clean Economy Act.
Distributed solar is responsible for creating a majority of all solar jobs in Virginia. More distributed solar means more jobs and local economic growth in our communities. For every 1MW of residential solar, 31 jobs are created. Every kW of distributed solar brings $2,425 in economic activity.
Limiting the types of projects eligible for the distributed generation carveout will make solar more accessible to low-income families and support a more broad portfolio of projects in the Commonwealth.
Thank you for reading my letter. Please ensure customer-owned solar plays a role in our clean energy mix.
Thank you for taking action to protect solar rights!
Please let us know if you have questions or need help with your comments. You can email me directly at email@example.com and I’m happy to help! Thanks so much for standing up for your—and all Virginians’—solar rights. We love you, Ipsun Fam!